Cacao protein porridge
This is one for the chocoholics! Chocolate for breakfast! There’s the optional added protein kick by adding protein powder if that’s your thing. It turns out surprisingly rich and creamy.
Add whatever topping you fancy: nuts, chai seeds, flax seeds, bee pollen, frozen or fresh fruit, nut butter….the possibilities are endless!
60g porridge oats
1 heaped tablespoon cacao powder
1 tablespoon chocolate protein powder (optional – I used chocolate powder but I think plain/vanilla would work well too of that’s what you have in the cupboard).
1 teaspoon cinnamon
200 mls milk – whatever dairy or dairy free variety you prefer, oat milk tends to make porridge extra creamy and nut milk gives some depth of flavour.
Toppings I used:
1 tablespoon almond butter
3 dates (halved)
Half a banana (thinly sliced)
1 tablespoon fresh raspberries
1 tablespoon walnut halves
- Put the oats, cacao, cinnamon and protein powder (if using) into a microwaveable bowl.
- Stir to mix together and combine.
- Add the milk and stir well.
- Microwave until it’s the consistency you like for your porridge, stirring every minute (this also helps you check how fast it’s cooking and gauge how much longer is needed). I have a category E 800W microwave and cooked the porridge for 2mins 20 seconds.
- Top with the toppings you want.