Dark-chocolate topped ‘flapjacks’
These little squares of yumminess are the prefect treat!
If you’re wanting to ensure they are gluten free make sure you use gluten-free oats.
For a vegan option the topping could be made with cacao and an extra few tablespoons of coconut oil and honey could be exchanged for an alternative sweetener such as agave syrup.
For the base:
330g dates (pitted)
2 tablespoons of honey
A little milk to bring it together
For the topping:
85g dark (I use 72%) chocolate
1 tablespoons of coconut oil
To make the base:
1. Put the oats and almonds in a food processor and whizz until more like a powder/almonds broken up a bit.
2. Add the dates and honey and whizz again until all combined.
3. Add some milk, just a little, to give the mixture some moisture to bring it together and whizz again for a few seconds.
4. Pour the base mixture into a tin that’s lined with baking parchment and press down so all compressed together.
5. Put into the fridge whilst you make the topping.
To make the topping:
1. Put the chocolate into a bowl on top of a saucepan with bowling water and start to melt the chocolate, add the coconut oil and stir occasionally until all melted.
2. Take the base out of the fridge and pour the topping over it, spreading the topping so there’s a thin layer that covers all the base.
Put into the fridge to set (at least 2-3 hours).
Once set cut up into squares and keep in the fridge (or take to work with you) until all gone.