Cashew butter and banana flapjacks
I wanted to make a healthy grab-and-go breakfast option. It took a couple of goes, but here is the result: cashew butter and banana flapjacks. They include bananas and dates to go towards your 5 a day and oats for slow release energy. They are gluten-free and vegan.
I’ve recently been persuaded to try cashew butter and I have to admit it really does work, this said I’m sure replacing the cashews and cashew butter for almonds and almond butter would work just as well.
2 ripe bananas (the riper the better)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
80g cashews (or almonds), plus extra for sprinkling on top
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 heaped tablespoons cashew (or almond) butter
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (fan).
2. Put the dates, bananas, coconut oil and cashew butter in a food processor and mix until combined.
3. Add the cashews and process again until the cashews are roughly chopped.
4. Place the oats, cinnamon and vanilla extract to a separate large mixing bowl and briefly stir.
5. Add the cashew, banana and date mixture to the dry ingredients and stir to combine together. I used a stand mixer but you could easily do this by hand.
6. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
7. Put the mixture into the lined baking tray and compress into the tray to ensure the mixture is an even height throughout, the mixture won’t rise in the oven. Sprinkle with cashews if you wish.
8. Bake in the oven for 15mins.
9. Take out of the oven and carefully transfer to a cooling rack/wire to cool.
10. Once cool cut up into however large portions you want!
11. Store in an airtight container.
Hope you enjoy x